Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Talents of a Nose

Oh, the things I am yet to learn about my wife...

Yesterday, I made a rather compelling discovery.  While sitting at the Christmas tree recycling site waiting on the tow truck driver,  I learned that Betty Clair's nose is able to laugh.  Yes, you read that correctly, I said her nose is able to laugh.

I've already known for a few years that her nose has the ability to show signs of aggression when agitated.  When she becomes angry or upset (usually due to me) her nostrils will form into a flared shape and typically be held in that position for 2-3 seconds at a time before relaxing briefly and then flaring again.  I often envision little puffs of smoke drifting from her nares when this happens.  If I let her know what I'm picturing it often leads to more prolonged flares.

But back to the laughing part...  

While waiting on the tow truck driver, we were engaged in an enjoyable discussion about the types of people dropping off trees, guessing what they did for a living, and contemplating whether they were able to decorate a pretty tree.  This exchange was humorous and entertaining for both of us, but I noticed that Betty Clair was especially enthralled by our chosen topic, even so much that her nose was producing rapid gyrations with every hearty laugh she gave.  Somehow, this is a phenomenon I have never noticed before.  Furthermore, when I pointed it out to her, it caused me to laugh harder which caused her to laugh harder and led to more nose gyrations.  I'm sure all our fellow recyclers were quite puzzled as to what could be going on in a broke-down Ranger in below freezing temperatures that was so amusing.  Looking back, I'm kind of wondering myself.

If you want an update on the broke-down truck, it goes as follows:

Yesterday, we drove a mile or so down the road to get rid of our Christmas tree now that its purpose has been fulfilled.  After tossing my Christmas tree on top of the recycling pile and not next to it (as anyone who has ever piled limbs before knows is appropriate),  I put the ol' Ranger back in gear and turned around to head back home.  After only an estimated 1.6 seconds into the turn, however, I heard a popping sound as if running over a plastic coke bottle and then noticed a sweet-smelling smoke emerging from under the hood.  I immediately parked it, shut off the engine, and proceeded to call the mechanic who sent out his tow truck driver.  After enjoying our hour-long wait in the pick-up (and being told no more than 30 minutes), the tow truck showed up to take us home and haul my truck off to the mechanic.  They were able to look at it and told me their first impression is that there is something wrong electrically and can be fixed for around $125.  That's not too bad at all, but he also said it may have gotten hotter than I realized.  I sure hope not, but it sure seems hard to shake the Hatcher curse of endless vehicle problems, so I'l probably be in for a rude awakening on Friday.

No comments: