Sunday, December 14, 2008

Some News

Today, we had to make our way down to Alabama again for another wedding. One of Betty Clair's sorority sisters, Cassi Rhodes (now Cassi Smola), was getting married during her Christmas break from medical school at UAB. The ceremony took place in Birmingham, so the dirve actually wasn't too terrible.

Right before walking in the church, I also learned that Auburn has now hired Gene Chizik as the new football coach. Although I'm honestly not very excited about the move, I am relieved to see this process at last come to an end. While Chizik was successful during his previous years spent in Auburn as the defensive coordinator, he has run into tougher times as the head coach at Iowa State. In his two years there, the team has posted an abysmal overall record of 5-19. In my opinion, there were several other candidates with better resumes (Turner Gill), but I will try not to complain and support the path that our athletic department has decided to follow. I'm not sure how easy that will be though.

The most exciting part of the day happened during the ride back to Nashville tonight. We had the pleasure of seeing seven, yes seven, shooting stars! I had only seen three in my life before tonight, so it was an amazing thing to see seven of them in such a short span. I'm pretty sure I actually saw ten, but some of them were not quite as clear. I guess this is what would technically be called a "meteor shower," but my astronomy knowledge is not sufficient enough to know for sure. Nevertheless, it was a pretty impressive thing to witness.

Got to sleep now. Early service and work tomorrow.

No comments: