Friday, December 5, 2008

The Juice is No Longer Loose

I am so pleased right now. Finally, O.J. Simpson will have to actually pay for a crime. Even though it is nowhere nearly as offensive as his other highly publicized escapade, at least he is being punished for something.

As I was watching the sentencing earlier, I also found it very refreshing that the judge described him as "arrogant and ignorant" on national television. The choice of "arrogant" was particularly gratifying. Is there really a better word to describe this man? The fact that he has avoided the imposed penalties for his other previous conviction is, as the judge says, extremely arrogant. Does he really think that just because he was a minority and a former athlete, the rules don't apply to him? Well, if he goes on precedent, he was probably pretty safe in thinking this way. Heck, he was even able write a book about it.

O.J. also decided to make a personal statement in this case, something he didn't do in his past murder trials. If I had not already understood how vain and shallow he really was, he almost could have convinced me that he was remorseful for his actions (possible future in Hollywood?). However, if mudering two people years ago still has never seemed to have any effect on his conscience, why should anyone believe he feels bad about simply trying to steal some sports memorabilia?

On a somewhat related note, I was a little saddened to see all the ignorant, race-baiting O.J. defenders standing outside the courthouse with signs saying things like, "Free O.J. You Black Male Haters." I guess once you've already claimed your welfare check on the first of the month, you have nothing better to do than go downtown and play with markers. They probably even received a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts to produce these inspired works. Yeah, you can go ahead and label me as a racist, but do you think these same people would still be making signs if it was John Elway or Curt Schilling on trial? Be honest now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with every fiber of my being. We were at Buffalo Wild Wings here in Huntsville when we heard the news Friday night. I almost ordered a round of beers for the entire establishment.

I do not know if you are aware of this, Manly Hatcher, but some time ago O.J. was cited in Florida for hitting a manatee with his watercraft. I think he was fined $200, or a similar amount. I bet if the truth was known, he hit the manatee on purpose. I wouldn't put it past him.

Hope you guys are doing well. Tell BC I said hello. Take care of yourselves.

Blade-on
(aka Father Time)