Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ski NC '09

Since I now have the ski trip pictures uploaded to the computer, I figured I could post an update about how the trip went.

The six of us (Britt, Katie, Trey, Laura Beth, Betty Clair, and myself) all arrived on Friday night and made out our plans for the next day over a thrilling game of Cranium.  These plans mainly consisted of sleeping late, eating a late breakfast, and making it to the slopes when we felt like it.  So, after lunch on Saturday we were finally energized enough to get properly equipped and dressed to give this skiing thing a shot.

Just as a background note, every girl on the trip had more individual experience with skiing than all the guys had combined.  It was actually the first attempt ever for Britt and myself.

Getting on with the story, my first trip down the mountain wasn't very enjoyable.  After falling on my face a mere 912 times, I wasn't feeling very confident I would enjoy this new activity.  However, after each consecutive trip up the ski lift and back down the mountain, I grew more comfortable in my ability to handle this task.  At the end of the day, I was flying down the mountain past my companions who apparently stopped to watch in amazement.  It was even reported that there were comment such as, "Was that Ross?"  The answer to this question was, of course, "Yes."  I'm sure it was hard to recognize me, though, as I probably just appeared to be a red blur.

Okay, that probably sounds a bit exaggerated, but I actually did catch on to the whole skiing thing rather quickly and was able to beat everyone of my fellow travelers down the mountain with ease by the end of the day.  That doesn't mean I still wasn't falling on my face in my speedy efforts, however.  My quickest run of the day was the only one that caused me injury since I still have this habit developed in childhood of sticking my tongue out when concentrating.  This habit didn't lead to nice results when a fall caused my left knee to slam against my chin, causing me to bite my tongue, and subsequently leaving my DNA all over the fresh snow.  I'm just calling that little mess "leaving my mark."

In all, everyone seemed to really enjoy the trip.  We were even contemplating things we could do for our next endeavor, such as a cruise, a beach trip, or returning to Maggie Valley in the Summer for white water rafting and fishing.

Okay, I'm tired of writing and I probably need to get on with my day.  Check out the pictures below, though.  I apologize for not having this post more consolidated and organized.  I'm still trying to figure out all the intricacies of working the Mac.

No comments: