Saturday, April 11, 2009

Special Treatment

How do you measure the carbon footprint of a pizza?

I'm not really sure what the answer is to that question.  But, when you fly two chefs and all the ingredients nearly 2,000 miles round-trip to cook it, I'm sure it's fairly respectable.

Why would anyone need to do such a thing, you ask.  Well, I honestly can't answer that question, either.  (Hard to believe since I know everything, huh?)

The only response I can possibly put together is that this person is simply a spoiled elitist whose feeling of self-worth is so extraordinary that he can't see the absurdity of this action.  This person would also have to have very little concern for environmental matters since a jet being flown simply to prepare pizzas would emit a lot of atmospheric pollution.  He would also have to be way out of touch with the "common man" since no regular middle-class family could ever afford such a luxury.

Want to guess who it is?  It shouldn't be hard.  Probably the CEO of General Motors, AIG, or other greedy corporation, huh?

Wrong!

This was done by our very considerate and compassionate leader, President Barack Obama. Apparently, he feels that his Thursday lunch is so important that such a request is justifiable.  Oh, the pomposity is nauseating!

Furthermore, Pi Restaurant (the preparer of the meal) displays their complete ignorance of this move on their website by boasting about how "green" they are because of their "significant carbon-offset purchases."  Again, just how many carbon-offsets does one have to purchase if cooking 20 pizzas requires flying halfway across the country?

I'm so confused.

Side Note:  In case you were unaware, I was victorious in the NCAA Basketball Tournament Challenge.  Was there ever any doubt I would win, though?
I am currently alone in third place in the Masters Best Ball Challenge, with Neely in the lead.  It's not over yet, though.  I'm coming back.

No comments: