Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Big Race

Guest Blogger:  Betty Clair Hatcher

Today, I'm writing on Ross's blog to tell you about my experience in running my first ever half-marathon!

I decided back in November that I wanted to train for the Country Music Half-Marathon held here in Nashville.  The half-marathon is a 13.1 mile race.  I'm not a runner, or even the slightest bit athletic, so I knew this would be a huge challenge.  This kind of difficult task was exactly what a thrill-seeking, uncoordinated person like myself was looking for.

Running is more of a mental challenge than anything, and for people who aren't athletic, a mental challenge is a more realistic goal.  Everyone knows how to run.  There is no thought or skill involved and really no way to mess it up.  Plus, I wanted to find out what it is like to get high... a runner's high, that is!

After months of training through blood, sweat, and tears, I was finally ready for my big day.  The greatest distance I had run in my training was 10 miles.  According to the training guide I was following, this was sufficient training to run 13.1 miles during the race.

I began to get very anxious when I discovered how many people would be running this race.  Over 35,000 people had signed up for the marathon and half-marathon combined!

On race day, all my anxiety disappeared and was replaced by pure excitement.  I got up at 4:45 a.m. to make it to Centennial Park (the starting point of the race) by 6:00 a.m.  I am a fortunate woman because my husband got up with me and cooked me breakfast, gave me flowers with a "Good Luck" balloon, and drove me to Centennial Park.

Now, I'll walk you through the race... left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot, etc.  Sounds like fun, huh?

Actually, the race itself was very exciting!  It was very difficult, but being surrounded by so many other people made running that far seem much easier.  My running partner, Manda, was also very encouraging during the race.  I got a little tired around mile 7, but fortunately she was there to keep my spirits up and keep going.  I was able to return the favor toward the end of the race when she needed some extra motivation.

Just before the 13 mile mark, I saw Ross standing on the side of the road waiting to see my run by.  Since I run so fast, he didn't get a chance to take a picture of me then.  However, he did hurry to the next corner to wait on me again and got some neat video of us running.

I finished the race soon after that with a time of 2:42:55.  I was very pleased with my time since my goal was to finish under 3 hours.

I really enjoyed getting to prepare and participate in a half-marathon.  It was very rewarding to set a goal and see it accomplished.  I have my sights set a little bit higher for next year's race, though.  I am going to try to run the full marathon!

Here are some pictures and video from the race for you to enjoy!

"Carb-Loading" the Night Before the Race

Eating My Race Day Breakfast

The Finish Line



My Medal

Me Displaying Proper Running Technique

Manda Doing the Same

Me, Manda, and Sarah After the Race



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Betty Clair I'm so proud of you! I love the picture of you and your medal, it makes me smile =)

Anonymous said...

Hey cuz tell BC congrats on the big race! Kaylie has a aunt from Hoover who runs in the full marathon and she loves it! By the way who won the best ball game? Later, Neely Hatcher.