Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Fatherhood

Since becoming a parent over two years ago, there have been many perceptions I've once held that I've altered or given up completely, many new lessons learned, and a few genuine skills developed.  Here is a brief list of a few of those:
  1. Lots of people have lots of opinions.
    • Since the day Blair was born, there have been people willing to "guide" us in the proper and appropriate way to rear a child.  Now, my wife and I are by no means experts ourselves in this field, but we are not entirely clueless, either.  Some people think your child eats too much candy while plenty others think you focus too much on fruits and vegetables.  Some folks think you spank too often and others think your child is spoiled.  There are experts everywhere.  
  2. Bowel movements can be a reason to celebrate.
    • There have been a few times over the past couple of years when my daughter's inability to produce solid stool has caused an elevated level of concern in our home.  When it eventually does happen, there is a great sense of relief in our family.  It's not gross or weird.  Maybe a bit... don't judge!
  3. I need to enjoy the younger years while they last.
    • I have friends and co-workers that are raising teenagers and I am in no rush at all to reach those years.  Sure, toddlers and pre-schoolers have their own issues, however I am nowhere near ready to deal with issues like dating, curfews, and all the corresponding emotional drama.  Two years have already passed in the blink of an eye, so I know that 13 will be here soon enough.
  4. I can put pigtails in the hair of a two-year-old.
    • This skill I learned while Betty Clair was on a mission trip with our church in Guatemala.  Kayla Hatcher, my sister-in-law that my brother was lucky to marry, taught me how to do this while she was gone.  It has almost now become a daily demand that she gets "two pigtails" in her hair before leaving home.
  5. My OCD ways quite often must fall by the wayside.
    • This one has been tough to accept.  Ask anyone who has ever witnessed my system for laundry.  There are constant messes that I have had to learn to deal with if I intend to keep my sanity, though.  Toddlers are messy creatures and are not always necessarily very good at wiping spaghetti sauce and milk off the table after dinner.  Those messes generally are cleaned up rather promptly primarily for sanitation purposes, but toys and socks on the strewn around the house have become something I give much less consideration.
I also have a book to endorse while I have your attention.  I discovered this one while trying to learn about the female sex before my daughter was even born since my wife has been telling me for years that I don't understand women.  I've learned that she is right about this.

The book She Calls Me Daddy has tons of practical, reasonable information that is not overwhelming to naive new dads like me.  It offers lots of ideas that I have already utilized and others that I most likely will apply in the future.  If you have a new-born daughter or a challenging teenager, I recommend that you pick up a copy for yourself.

No comments: