Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Free Pass... If Your Name Ends in (D)

I really wish I were a Democrat in the Senate right now because this group seems to be able to do anything, say anything, and get anything their little hearts desire. As far as I can tell, these people have this priceless luxury right now because each one of them could potentially be the 60th vote for any legislation the president wants to propose. Therefore, he has to give them what they want when they want it and also forgive all their sins. Don't tell me you weren't aware that he added "forgiveness of sins" to the president's job description?

For example, just look at what Nebraska Senator Ben Nelson (D) was able to pull off. Via the scandal ridden political process, he was able to add so many perks benefitting his own state to the health care bill that attorney generals from across the country have threatened to file suit against the bill. His strategy through the whole debate process was simply just to hold out on casting his vote for the financial carnage until he could get what he wanted specifically. As a clever politician, however, he knew it would be successful since that 60th vote is so very crucial.

Another case involves the recently reported comments made by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D). Before the election, Reid was quoted as saying that Obama only had a chance in the contest because he was "light-skinned" and spoke "with no negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." In other words, Reid felt Obama's most valuable qualities were that he happened to only be half black and could also talk like a white guy or a black guy, lending to his remarkable ability to mesmerize more than one ethnic group at a time. But being the kind and forgiving (aka weak and scared) leader that Obama is, he gave Senator Reid a pass on these remarks. I guess it's okay to make fun of his ears now, too.

Ironically, the same free pass wasn't given to Senator Trent Lott (R) when he made the observation to 100-year-old Strom Thurmond at his birthday party that the country would have been better off if he would have been elected president. Lott held the same postion that Senator Reid holds now and was ultimately forced to step down due to intense political pressure over his statement. One key difference between these events is that Reid's remarks refer to a point in time when he was 69 years old and had been in Congress for many years. Lott's comments refer to an event that happened when he was 7 years old. I'm not sure how comprehensive his understanding of the details of national politics was at that age.

I would also like to discuss all of Obama's fellow Democrats that are getting free passes when it comes to paying taxes, but the internet isn't large enough to list that much information. I wish Al would have worried about making the internet bigger when he invented it instead of fretting about all this global warming stuff. Oh well...

Note: In contrast to the assumed level of Senator Lott's early political knowledge, I have learned that my own political leanings were well-founded and faultless at an early age. Recently, I found my 4th grade composition book and discovered a negatively toned remark in reference to Bill Clinton among the wonderfully written passages. Stan and Becky sure did raise me right.

1 comment:

Katie said...

You crack me up. This stuff makes me so mad I can't even get involved. I mean, it really stresses me out. It just isn't right and I hate it that I can't fix it! Blast! Don't even get me started on taxes.... ohhh...