Sunday, May 17, 2009

One Year of Marital Bliss

Has it already been a year?  

Time sure flies...

In celebration of our first anniversary, Betty Clair and I spent the weekend at The Doolin House Inn, a cozy little bed and breakfast located in the town of Somerset, Kentucky.  Betty Clair was left uninformed of our sleeping accommodations since I have been reminded on many occasions of how much she loves "surprises."  To my pleasure, she was very satisfied with the reservations I had made (all on my own, too).


After checking into our room, the Man O' War, we took a quick stroll downtown to check out the sights.  Being the dorks that we are, would you ever guess that one of the most fascinating things we saw on our walk was an independent pharmacy with a soda fountain?  Hard to believe, huh?

The next morning, after filling our bellies with the delicious breakfast sandwiches prepared by Doolin House chefs/owners Allison and Chuck Soebick, we set out for our "play" portion of the trip.  Betty Clair was also left unaware of what I had planned for Saturday so that I could pull off another "surprise."  I was on a roll!  She was not disappointed, however, when we took the short drive down to Cumberland Falls State Park to see the majestic waterfall known as the "Niagara of the South."  We were able to do several miles of hiking and see some other falls in the park, as well.


That night, we also had the good fortune of discovering that the town of Somerset also boasts a working drive-in movie theater, 27 Drive-In.  Since this was something neither of us had ever experienced before, we decided to make a date out of it.  We saw the new X-Men movie, which was not as good as I had hoped, but made better because we had the opportunity to watch it the old-fashioned way.  Here's a picture from their website of the back screen (they have two) where we watched our movie.

Our breakfast this morning was a type of bread pudding dish that was also quite wonderful.  I'm not sure how it is made, but I definitely wouldn't mind eating it again soon.  We checked out around 10:30 and made our way back to Nashville.

After coming home, we went down to Sears for what has undeniably been the most exciting part of the entire weekend.  We went there so I could get Betty Clair's anniversary present.  It is something she's been desiring for nearly a year now. It's something every other woman truly yearns for, also.  Click here to see what the amazing gift she received today!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Aw, I have been thinking about you and BC and your anniversary since it is so close to ours! I'm so glad that yall had such a fabulous trip! Hard to believe it's been a year already.... That was hilarious about seeing the independent pharmacy with the soda fountain!

I haven't updated my blog in five months... maybe I should get on that? Glad that yours is still up and running.

Anonymous said...

That place looks as creepy as the hotel we had to stay in at your wedding. I guess you wanted to find a place to relive what it was like on that horrific day.

Anonymous said...

That B & B looks like the creepy hotel we stayed in at your wedding.